Thursday 5 November 2015

Christina Rossetti: Poem #3: 'Remember':



I haven't got full notes for this poem yet, so instead of following CATSDRIFT - as I will do for the majority of these poems and use it as the blog post layout - I'll just type the notes as they're annotated in my notes.

- Sad and dark diction, religious and archaic vocabulary yet with an optimistic message (Juxtaposed content and tone)
- Several imperative sentences: 'Remember me... Remember me...'
- Figurative language used for afterlife: 'Silent land'
- Relatable: 'Nor I half tern to go yet turning stay'
- Some enjambment, perhaps symbolising her memory continuing on. But eventually it ends with a full stop, she wants the addressee to forget.
- Alliteration: 'hold...hand...'
- Feels like a will.
- 1st person, direct address
- Sonnet form!
- Strong, calm, quietly confident voice
- Death's prevalent in Victorian society, Rossetti was ill for much of her life too.
- Very irregular/complicated rhyme scheme - the complication and uncertainty of life/death?

No comments:

Post a Comment